Grayson had surgery 18 days ago, and is looking better every day!  We get mixed reactions when we go out in public.  Some people do a double-take and angrily size me up to see if I look like the abusive type.  Some gasp and say, "Oh, what happened to you?"  And yet others are automatically supportive.  An older woman unexpectedly looked me right in the eyes, squeezed my hand and said softly, "It's all going to be alright."  I got a little teary as she walked away.  A tough biker looking guy at a restaurant said Grayson looked like a tough boxer, and he hoped his surgery went well.

Today, Grayson and I flew to Seattle to have his first post-op appointment with the neurosurgeon and craniofacial plastic surgeon.  What. a. day.  Grayson started the day out at 2:30am with a fever of almost 102.  Sheesh.  I woke him up again at 4:00am to head to the airport.  I'll let you guess how that went.  So, needless to say, I was "that person" on the plane to Seattle.  Flights with mad babies go something like this - People without kids try not to look totally annoyed, but deep inside are thinking "oh please don't sit next to me" and "where are my headphones, someone please tell me I packed the headphones" And I used to be one of them!  Shame on me.  People with kids, however, often give you sympathetic smiles, make goofy faces at your baby to cheer him up, and even offer to re-pack your diaper bag for you when you land.  Yes please to all of that.  Grayson was so tired after screaming (and I do mean screaming) the whole way to Seattle that he fell asleep in the Seattle Children's shuttle.  His snooze was short-lived, however, because we arrived at the hospital 15 minutes later when I woke him up again (*cringe*) and we checked in for our appointment.  Grayson screamed for another 30 minutes while we waited for the doctors.  He was so ridiculously upset, I was sure someone would walk in to see if we had been attacked by a T-Rex, but I guess a hysterical baby in a children's hospital really isn't anything but a soundtrack ;)

Grayson's appointment went well, and he's totally on track with his healing except he clearly had a fever again by this point.  And there was a spot on his incision that had been getting redder over the last couple of days.  By this afternoon, the redness had picked up like wildfire and spread to a large area around his incision and down around his ear.  It also became noticeably shiny, swollen and inflamed.  The surgeons thought it could be an infection (and it could explain the fever) which would not be a happy circumstance.  The appointment with the doctors was good timing in that respect.  The good news is, they prescribed him some Keflex.  The bad news is, they prescribed him some Keflex.  It's super powerful medicine, but has a tendency to make people queasy.  I'm pretty sure Grayson threw up whatever he ate for the last 3 days tonight.  It was totally gross, but also kind of impressive.  Somehow he even got it in his hair.  And ours.  Poor baby.  We'll try again tonight.

Grayson went to bed early but woke up two hours later.  After I rocked him back to sleep, I came out into the living room and noticed I had blood all over my shoulder. His stitches are bleeding.  Seriously?  What is going on?  We're keeping a very close eye on him.  What a Monday.  I suppose it wasn't all bad.  Grayson took a long cozy nap on our flight home this afternoon.  And someone helped me re-pack my diaper bag when the plane landed, after also giving me their aisle seat.  At that point, I couldn't help but think of my favorite line from Joe Versus The Volcano... "May you live to be 1000 years old sir."

Time for bed... I feel like it may be a long night.