Apparently, Grayson had an 11-month old birthday wish.  He wanted to go see the place that he was born, and he wanted to glow like his favorite toy, Glowy the seahorse.  So today we celebrated by going to the hospital and having a CT scan... well actually about 3 CT scans because despite the Versed, Grayson was wiggling around like the crazy person he is.  I'll back up...

Grayson woke up a few times last night.  By this morning, part of his incision was red, swollen, and leaking fluid and blood.  No bueno.  We called the cranio team at Seattle Children's and the on-call plastic surgeon said we should take him to the hospital.  So, at 6am I took him to the local ER.  They had absolutely no idea what metopic craniosynostosis was, and it took about 5 pokes to find his vein (which truly made me miss our friends on Whale 6 at SCH) but the staff was really nice and worked with the doctors in Seattle to come up with a plan.  Seattle Children's also called me several times to ask about Grayson and work out a solution, which made me feel totally at ease.  The local ER immediately put Grayson on antibiotics through his IV.  Seattle Children's preferred to evaluate him themselves, but because of the 300 mile journey, they said we should have a CT and some bloodwork done before they made the decision for him to come.  During the CT, I had to wait in the radiology waiting room.  It was my first time without him in 4 hours, and despite the crazy morning I had trying to entertain an 11 month old in a tiny room with the same 3 toys... I missed him.  I took advantage of the situation, however, and drank two cups of coffee in 5 minutes, along with whatever I could find crammed in my diaper bag.  Wow.  Burned my tongue but totally worth it.  Grayson, however, wasn't able to have any food until they determined whether he needed surgery or not.  I was finally able to give him a bottle at 1pm when the doctor came in and said, "No road trip!"  Grayson showed his appreciation by filling up his diaper.  Thanks buddy.  I have to say though, he went 7 hours without a bottle or a nap and he did remarkably well.  I am SO proud of him.  He really is an awesome kid.

So, Grayson will stay at the hospital for one or two nights while they give him antibiotics and watch his incision.  He already looks better to me, so I'm hoping we will get discharged tomorrow.  Neurosurgery at Seattle Children's wants to see him on Monday.  Here we go again!  Either we drive through the snowy mountain pass, or we fly for another $300-$350 a ticket.  But I have to say, he's worth it :)

Josh came to the hospital after work so I just came home to shower, get new supplies, and eat something other than a stale bag of cinnamon bagel chips (what's worse than day old plane snacks?  day old plane snacks in the hospital chased with 2 very awful cups of radiology waiting room coffee).

I'm taking Grayson's prayer chain from Cranio Care Bears back to the hospital to hang on his crib.  Lots of love to everyone who has supported us through this journey!  There's a better day around the corner, I can just feel it.